We've been quiet over the last month as I superstitiously didn't want to foul-up the closing on a lake house we found. Springfield had always been a top pick although not number one. We love Marquette and Vermont along with all the other top 10 places. However, Springfield won out because of several factors:
10. Springfield is within a three-hour drive of Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis (but at least 90 minutes away from each).
09. The bicentennial of Lincoln's birth is about to be celebrated and there's a great Lincoln tourism draw.
08. A developing downtown.
07. An emerging arts/cultural scene.
06. Low cost of living.
05. Grad school nearby.
04. My sister and her family live there.
03. We believe we can custom develop our careers there.
02. We found a fixer-upper for the right price ON THE LAKE!
01. We figured the town needed a boost after The Simpsons picked Vermont.
So now the story really begins. We're now selling our big city house and preparing to move. Preparing to fix-up the new home. Preparing to find income! Preparing for a wedding!!!!
UPDATE: The Daily Herald printed a story this week that featured this blog and our trip. Click HERE to read it.